- call to action
- call in:
- other ways to show your support
- past updates
Dec 23 1:50am PST: the forced evacuations of people out of besieged aleppo seems to be complete. this post will no longer be updated.
Dec 21 8:50am PST: thousands still trapped in besieged aleppo amidst freezing temperatures.
this post will continue to be updated. the resources section has been updated (Dec 17). the call to action has been updated on Dec 16. please keep checking back for more ways to show your support & the latest updates on the ground.
call to action
- immediate ceasefire NOW: no more killing or injuring of civilians by pro-assad forces as they try to evacuate
- the protection of civilians, including :
- a safe evacuation for ALL 50,000+ trapped in besieged aleppo NOW with the presence of UN peacekeepers
- freeing of all prisoners, including the 80 detained by pro-assad forces on Dec 16 as they try to evacuate
- the lifting of all the sieges
- aid to besieges areas (airdrops if necessary)
- an end to the war
- accountability for all parties, especially assad & his allies, to be held accountable for the crimes they have perpetrated
- an end to russian, iranian, US & other foreign military intervention in syria:
- russia, iran & lebanon are intervening militarily on the ground, propping up the assad regime
- russia is spreading pro-assad government propaganda on russian TV, including FALSELY claiming the evacuation of all people form east aleppo is complete while 50,000-95,000 are still trapped in besieged aleppo
- iranian militias broke two recent ceasefires that halted the evacuations of civilians from east aleppo, including killing one person and injuring several others, including a member of the white helmets
- hezbollah (lebanese militia) were responsible for killing four people & injuring six others today Dec 16, as well as detaining at least 80 civilians trying to evacuate as prisoners
- russia & china recently vetoed a ceasefire agreement put forward in the UN security council. russia has used its veto power in the UN security council to protect syria many times.
wherever you are, i urge you to put pressure on your government, call your MPs, your foreign affairs minister, write to white house & the UN, call the russian, chinese & iranian embassies & consulates. ask them what they are doing about the genocide taking place in aleppo, repeat the demands above. there are even sample letters people have written which you can use as a guide. also show your support in other ways if you can. the people in besieged aleppo are under imminent danger right now, only we have the power to end this.
contacts for so-called “canada”
- minister of foreign affairs – stéphane dion: 613-996-5789, firstname.lastname@example.org
- members of parliament:
- white house: contact form
- united nations:
- embassies & consulates:
contacts for the so-called “US”
- white house: contact form
- state department: +1 202 647 9572 (may not work), contact form
- congress: find your congress members & contact them
- russian embassy: + 1 202 298 5700 (may not work, contact your consulate)
- russian consultates: find your consulate & contact them
- permanent syrian representative to the UN, bader al jaafari: 212-661-1313 (“US” number)
contacts for so-called “california”
- members of senate:
- russian consulate: (415) 928-6878
- chinese consulate: (415) 852-5900
- iranian consulate: 1-877-917-7705
- see also “US” list
- thanks to mohamed chakmakchi for looking this up
note: there are reports that some of the numbers are working. the comments for the facebook link have some solutions.
- universal sample email by laura june:
- I am writing to ask that your office does everything in its power to help the innocent civilians of Aleppo who are being murdered by government forces at this very moment. I implore you to take a principled stance and to do everything possible to advocate for the safe passage of all Syrian civilians who are in desperate need. We must not desert them.
- sample letter to white house by books not bombs
- sample email to white house by reham hamoui
other ways to show your support
- sign these petitions:
- world leaders: please act to save our lives in aleppo by dr. hamza al khatib, one of the very last remaining doctors in aleppo
- demand safe evacuation for the people of aleppo by amnesty international
- what the fuck we can do about aleppo? a starter guide
- organize & attend events for syria near you if you can
- send activists trapped in besieged aleppo messages of love & support (call out by shiyam galyon)
- ask your university president to speak out about aleppo. you can use this sample letter by books not bombs.
- donate to the white helmets
- donate to the organizations that you know are doing good work on the ground
- DO NOT donate to the syrian red crescent, it is under assad’s control & the vast majority of aid goes to government controlled areas, not areas under seige by the regime
- tweet to world leaders about your outrage, ask they what they are doing to safely evacuate the 100,000 people still trapped in besieged aleppo
- support syrian refugees seeking asylum where you live by sponsoring them, putting pressure on the government to accept more, etc
- urgent message from raed saleh, head of the white helmets civil defense team. (Dec 14)
- syrian civil society organizations suspend operations to protest genocide in aleppo
- the assad regime has murdered the vast majority of civilians in syria. learn more on whoiskillingciviliansinsyria.org.
- message from aleppo: ‘tomorrow will be too late for us’ by bilal abdul kareem
- razan ghazzawi, syrian activist.
- loubna mrie, syrian activist.
- the syria campaign.
- book: burning country: syrians in revolution & war by leila al-shami & robin yassim-kassab.
- the counterrevolution crushes aleppo by ashley smith
- reports of execution-style killings in aleppo point to war crimes by amnesty international
- on shock & genocide by banah gh
- “there is something to be mourned for everyone under the rubble in aleppo” by taha bali
- on the chemical weapons attack in hama by taha bali
people on the ground in besieged aleppo updating via social media
- hadi alabdullah
- lina shamy
- bilal abdul kareem & on the ground news
- bana alabed
- zouhir alshimale
- salah ashkar
- mohmad shbeeb
- ismail alabdullah
- mr. alhamdo
- monther etaky
- the white helmets aka syrian civil defense
- rami zien
videos from besieged aleppo
- 360 degrees of destruction in aleppo by aleppo media center (no words)
- goodbye by ismail alabdullah (not captioned)
- call to action by lina shamy (not captioned)
- “stay engaged” by bilal abdul kareem (not captioned)
- bombs still falling by zouhir alshimale (not captioned)
- sounds of bombardment by DOAM (not captioned)
- syrian ambassador to the UN spreads propaganda by middle east eye
- “if the assad regime caught me, they would shoot me” by bilal abdul kareem (not captioned)
- “we love peace” by darna orphans
- call to action by reem assil (not captioned)
- “don’t just feel sorry for us, do something” by zouhir alshimale
- no evacuation yet & bombardment is back on by salah alashkar (not captioned)
- people waiting for evacuation run for cover under missile fire by salah alashkar
- aleppo evacuation interviews by hadi abdullah
- on leaving aleppo & the revolution by salah ashkar (not captioned)
- drone footage of aleppo evacuation & destruction by DOAM (no words)
- “nothing is said & done until it’s said & done” by bilal abdul kareem (not captioned)
- call for UN to monitor evacuation by lina shamy (not captioned but video transcript is available)
- evacuation gone wrong by channel 4 news
- update Dec 13 11:30AM PST: there are reports of a deal between rebels & the regime for everyone to be evacuated from besieged east Aleppo. the assad regime frequently renegades on ceasefires & evacuations. there are reports of hundreds of men being forcibly conscripted by the regime after fleeing besieged aleppo & crossing into regime controlled territory in the last few days alone.
- update Dec 14 2:15PM PST: REGIME & IRANIAN MILITIAS SHELLING 100,000 PEOPLE TRAPPED IN 1.5KM SQUARED DESPITE SUPPOSED EVACUATION DEAL.
- update Dec 14 1:15PM PST: there are unconfirmed reports of another deal between rebels & the regime for everyone to be evacuated from besieged east Aleppo. we know that the last ceasefire fell through in a matter of hours.
- Dec 14 9:30AM PST: more contacts & actions added, including international. please continue to share & act.
- EMERGENCY UPDATE Dec 14 12:30AM PST: regime breaks ceasefire, no evacuations have taken place. 100 000 people are in imminent danger of being raped, tortured, detained, forcibly conscripted and massacred by assad’s forces. please continue to do what you can.
- update Dec 14 10:15PM PST: ceasefire holding, evacuations supposedly happening soon.
- update Dec 15 12:00AM PST: THE CEASEFIRE HAS BEEN BROKEN BY THE REGIME YET AGAIN. there are reports that civilians, including a member of the white helmets, have been shot by regime snipers while clearing an ambulance route for the evacuation. there are reports that they are in critical condition. NO EVACUATION HAS TAKEN PLACE THUS FAR.
- update Dec 15 12:20AM PST: URGENT – dozens of civilians, including at least one member of the white helmets, are being shelled as they try to evacuate.
- THE CEASEFIRE HAS BEEN BROKEN BY THE REGIME YET AGAIN.
- NO EVACUATIONS HAVE TAKEN PLACE THUS FAR.
- update Dec 15 12:40PM PST: only 1200 people evacuated from aleppo have safely reached northern idlib. 99,000 to go. this evacuation will take time. we need you with us every step of the way.
- important update via kenan rahmani: “The regime’s terror never ends. While buses were arriving from besieged Aleppo (around 3pm) to the “handover point” in the western countryside, regime MiG 23 fighter jets broke the sound barrier several times and launched two flares at the convoy to further terrorize these people who have just suffered months of siege and the most terrifying past few days of their lives. No injuries were reported.And as was reported earlier, Iran-backed militia snipers opened fire at the convoy during the loading of the buses earlier today, killing one and injuring 5 including 2 members of the White Helmets.”
- update Dec 15 10:00AM PST: ceasefire holding, evacuation moving. the evacuation of this many people could take days, we need to stay engaged & continue to mobilize.
- we know the assad regime frequently reneges on ceasefires & evacuations. we know that pro-assad snipers shot four civilians, including one member of the white helmets, as they tried to evacuate wounded patients out of aleppo. we know that the last two ceasefires were broken by pro-regime forces in a a matter of hours. we know that the assad regime has been massacring people as soon as they have entered east aleppo. we know that the assad regime & its allies are anti-life: they have been besieging aleppo for months, cutting off food & medical aid & systematically targeting rescue workers, healthcare facilities (there are no hospitals left in east aleppo) & health care workers all the while bombing people to death. they are doing everything in their power to make sure that people in east aleppo do not survive. we know that even if people are safely evacuated from aleppo, all neighbouring countries’ borders are sealed and there is no escape from this blood thirsty dictator who is intent on depopulating areas that resist him, who is intent on destroying everyone who opposes him. even if the people of east aleppo are safely evacuated, there is nowhere in syria that is safe from assad’s assaults, from russian airstrikes, from iranian militias, from ISIS & other such organizations that have been created by assad’s repression & who are strengthened by assad’s brutality.
- we must continue to mobilize to make sure that people are evacuated safely. and even if that does happen, there is so much work left to be done.
- we cannot let this deal stop us from acting because we don’t know what it will amount to on the ground. we must continue to demand a ceasefire, safe passage for civilians, air drops of aid, the freeing of prisoners, the lifting of the sieges, an end to the war and the bringing of all parties, especially the assad regime, to justice for their crimes. the people of east aleppo are counting on us.
- update Dec 16 3:17AM PST: reports that 800 CIVILIANS HAVE NOW BEEN TAKEN HOSTAGE by pro-assad (iranian) militias while leaving east aleppo. the hostages include wounded civilians. evacuation is still halted by pro-assad militia.
- update Dec 16 1:20AM PST: THE EVACUATION HAS BEEN SUSPENDED BY PRO-ASSAD FORCES. only a few thousand people have been evacuated. we must continue to mobilize, put pressure on our governments, protest & do whatever we can. there are many other ways we can show our support as well.
Dec 17 10:00AM PST: EMERGENCY UPDATE ON ALEPPO – 50,000-95,000 in besieged aleppo are currently in imminent danger of rape, detention, torture, forcible conscription & death at the hands of assad & his allies. NO EVACUATIONS ARE CURRENTLY TAKING PLACE. IRAN IS IMPEDING EVACUATION NEGOTIATIONS. PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SHOT DEAD, INJURED & DETAINED BY PRO-ASSAD FORCES AS THEY TRY TO EVACUATE. PLEASE DEMAND A SAFE EVACUATION WITH THE PRESENCE OF UN PEACEKEEPERS. TAKE ACTION, SPREAD THE WORD. MORE INFO BELOW:
- four refugees were shot dead & six were injured upon trying to evacuate by pro-assad forces.
- at least 80 have been stripped naked, violated & been taken prisoner in the presence of the syrian red crescent & ICRC.
- russians are putting out FALSE information that the evacuation is complete when only 5000 have made it to the aleppo countryside. there are still 50,000-95,000 still left in besieged aleppo. this information makes the probability of mass killing more & more likely.
- please demand that UN peacekeepers are present because there is no reason to trust that the assad regime & its forces will uphold any safe evacuation.
- 800 civilians that were encircled by pro-assad tanks, detained by these same forces had their possessions stolen, were prevented from leaving & were forced to walk back to besieged aleppo.
- people are trapped in besieged aleppo without food.
- activists report that there is no internet in the vast majority of aleppo.
Dec 17 7:15pm PST: civilian evacuations are slated to start in aleppo, zabani, madaya, kafraya, fooa within hours. we don’t know if this will actually happen since the last four ceasefires have been broken by pro-assad forces & people trying to evacuate have been shot dead & injured. please continue to mobilize & stay engaged: the people of syria are counting on us. they need our support every step of the way.
- we don’t know what this deal will amount to on the ground. even if an evacuation does start, evacuating the 50,000-95,000 people in aleppo will take days at the very least, and we must continue to act to ensure that everyone gets out.
- even if everyone is evacuated safely, evacuation is only a good first step. we know even when they reach their destination, they will not be safe from continued airstrikes, sieges, and military invasions by assad & his allies. let’s continue to mobilize, to break the silence on syria, & take our leadership from the syrians who have been organizing for a free syria for almost six years.
- we know the assad regime frequently reneges on ceasefires & evacuations. we know that pro-assad snipers shot four civilians, including one member of the white helmets, as they tried to evacuate wounded patients out of aleppo. we know that the last four ceasefires were broken by pro-regime forces in a a matter of hours. we know that the assad regime has been massacring people as soon as they have entered east aleppo. we know that the assad regime & its allies are anti-life: they have been besieging aleppo for months, cutting off food & medical aid & systematically targeting rescue workers, healthcare facilities (there are no hospitals left in east aleppo) & health care workers all the while bombing people to death. they are doing everything in their power to make sure that people in east aleppo do not survive. we know that even if people are safely evacuated from aleppo, all neighbouring countries’ borders are sealed and there is no escape from this blood thirsty dictator who is intent on depopulating areas that resist him, who is intent on destroying everyone who opposes him. even if the people of east aleppo are safely evacuated, there is nowhere in syria that is safe from assad’s assaults, from russian airstrikes, from iranian militias, from ISIS & other such organizations that have been created by assad’s repression & who are strengthened by assad’s brutality.
- we must continue to demand a ceasefire, safe passage for civilians, air drops of aid, the freeing of prisoners, the lifting of the sieges, an end to the war and the bringing of all parties, especially the assad regime, to justice for their crimes. the people of east aleppo are counting on us.
Dec 19 12:04am PST: 21 buses arrive in the west countryside of aleppo.
Dec 18 8:09pm PST: BREAKING– “45 buses transporting evacuees, including the injured & civilians, from aleppo have been detained in government controlled areas from 1pm (aleppo time) until at least 4:30am (aleppo time). they are without food or drink. the humanitarian situation is extremely bad. they have not been allowed to leave the buses even to go to the washroom. please act to help them help them. the weather is extremely cold. we call on international organizations: international red cross, the red crescent, any international organization that can help them to help them.” via hadi alabdullah (paraphrased). full video transcript is now available.
Dec 19 11:50am PST:
- UNSC agrees to monitor the forced evacuations in aleppo.
- 47 orphans in a video asking to be evacuated have safely made it to idlib.
- 45 buses detained in regime-held territories have arrived in the western countryside of aleppo
- zouhir alshimale has arrived in idlib. monther etaky is out of aleppo.
- there are concerns that idlib will be next in facing a genocide after this forced evacuation is complete
- a baby has died from the cold waiting to be evacuated from besieged aleppo. there are also reports that a few children have died from the cold & long wait to be evacuated.
- freezing temperatures continue in aleppo
- there are reports that a member of hizbollah dug up a grave in east aleppo & took a picture with a skull
- turkish foreign minister estimates that 20,000 people have been evacuated. estimates vary about how many people are left awaiting forced evacuation in besieged aleppo.